Monday, May 25, 2015

"Quoting Guatemala"

      Last year I went to Guatemala for the first time and reflected on my experience by creating a list of the top reasons to go to Guatemala. Before I headed back again this year I was prepared to create a list of the top reasons to return to Guatemala. Except as I prepare to create that list 35,000 feet in the air, I'm realizing that it's going to be quite similar to that from last year - Guatemala is still beautiful, the people are still loving, and God's Holy Spirit is still found on every street corner. So instead I'll focus on all the incredible people I've had the privilege to travel with this week. I hope these quotes make it evident how much the presence of God in Guatemala (call it Godemala if you will) has taught us about our own calling in this world. So here, in no particular order, is this year's list:

The Top 13 Serious Quotes of Guatemala 2K15

1) "God really does exist! He has repaired us and uses us as a trophy of his grace."
2) "I feel very uncomfortable when someone says I'm a pastor because it's a lot of responsibility."
3) "The Kingdom of God is upside-down."
4) "The way you perceive Jesus is the way you will conduct ministry."
5) "An attitude of thankfulness is so transformative."
6) "Tears tell you what you feel most called to do."
7) "God whispers through our gifts."
8) "9 out of 10 times, our calling seems impossible because it would be without God."
9) "Hold hands when you cross the street." (Put this on a much bigger scale and it will make more sense)
10) "Your calling is something you feel, but it is affirmed through everyone else."
11) "Make the world smaller through relationships."
12) "There's church in that little room."
13) "You're all called to be followers of Christ, so be worthy of that call."

Thanks be to God. 

-James Compton

No comments:

Post a Comment