Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Dear Maggie...

I commonly write notes, emails, or letters to my friend Maggie and this post is set up as a letter to her as my best friend and a constant source of guidance in my life. 

Dear Maggie,

Today has been one of the most powerful days of my life. Doubts, hopes, confusion, and inspiration have emanated throughout the events of the past few hours. Over the past semester I have been confronted with questions concerning my path in life and which way is the right way for me. My pursuit of a civil engineering degree fills my goals of working in teams, solving problems, and using my technical skills. However, lately I have been this whole other part of me that is intrigued by social issues and fulfilled by being a source of guidance for others. I love listening to people and being able to be there for them. 

Today we met with several people who are doing amazing things to be sources of guidance and hope for people in Guatemala. One of the women we met with, Betty, works with the women's ministry of CEDEPCA teaching that "being a woman is a wonderful thing" and that God made the, women because he wants them to be women. This validates these identity of these women as women and can be an extremely powerful idea in their life. I hear about the issues women face in the United States and feel a need for change but I hear about the struggles of women in Guatemala and know there must be change and justice. These women face all those of the women in the United States currently and in the past. I am inspired by the work Betty and those like her, I don't think I would have the strength to do what she does with such opposition from society. 

Later in the da we watched a film called "Reparando" featuring people on Limonade, a slum of Guatemala City, and specifically a man named Shorty who then came to speak with us after the movie. This ms shook all my judgements from me and puts a light of hope I a place of darkness with such ease. I was consumed as he spoke. Shorty's father and uncle were taken by them government when he was young, his mother was involved with drugs and then disappeared, he traveled to the United States illegally several times and was deported, he got involved with gangs in Guatemala City, he did drugs, stole, and alluded that there was more to his story than these things. Despite all this Shorty was one of the most tender hearted, Godly people I have ever met. This man does not force his beliefs on anyone in the slightest but brings God to them and changes their hearts anyway. I am so in awe of him and all the one working inGuatemala that we have met. They are grateful and giving despite their circumstances. In the film a man who works inthe sewers and has a home with only walls, no roof, amidst the trash of Guatemala City said that isheis so grateful for the things he has and is so happy. This man is an eye opener and a role model for me. I need to be grateful for the many things that I have every single day because no matter what I have more than many. As I bring all these things together I am empowered but also confused. I am not sure what these experiences will change in my life plan but I know I cannot ignore their impact. Part of me sees these people and thinks they are so much stronger and braver than I am, that I must proceed with my life plan as is but I also know that I cannot pretend these remarkable people did not affect me. The other part of me sees that these people are no innately different from myself. The boys that came with Shorty seemed s distant from me until they started giggling to each other when one of their phones went off and smiling. They are just kids just like me. Part of me wants to change my plan completely and find a calling of my own as a guide to those in need as these boys, Shorty, and all those of CEDECA have done but I do not know if this is what God is calling me to do. 

I could write for days about al of these events and thoughts from today but they will have to wait until I see you. Thanks for your everlasting support. 

Love,
Sarah Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment